Every dog deserves a treat at Christmas and these drool-worthy candy canes from Dog Treat Kitchen are the paw-fect festive treat!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp red natural food colouring
- 1/2 tsp peppermint oil flavouring (optional)
- Whisk all your wet ingredients together until well combined. Add dry ingredients, one at a time, stirring between each addition to incorporate.
- Knead dough on floured surface for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, make a well in one half and add the peppermint and food colouring-working it in and adding food colouring until desired colour is reached.
- Place both dough rolls back into bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm dough.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
- Cover a cookie sheet in foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, break each dough colour up into an equal number of pieces- about a Tbsp. or so in size-depending on the size of the recipient.
- Roll each ball into a small snake-like shape.
- Work on a long sheet of baking paper creating candy canes to prevent sticking- dough will still be somewhat sticky and that is normal.
- Twist one of each colour together and bend the end to create a hook shape.
- Place your “Candy Cane” on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
These dog candy canes will keep fresh for two or more weeks in the refrigerator. They also freeze beautifully. Keep them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tell us how you like them in the comments below!